Today’s (Oct. 8, 2017) international news over NDTV says that the opposition leader of Russia, Ilya Yashin, along with his supporters, was arrested by the Russian police on the grounds that they were staging/organizing a protest for which permission had not been granted.
[ Once again the Brutality of the police in handling Citizens, in this case Ilya Yashin, is clearly seen in the photograph, from the internet, of course. I shall contrast this with the police’ behaviour with regard to criminals in another post. ]
Interestingly, and sadly, this is the second time in a mere 20 days that this opposition leader has been arrested, the first also being on the grounds of unpermitted protest.
From centuries before George Orwell, police, likened to dogs, have been brainwashed to obeying blindly; fed, housed and coddled – upto a bit, of course, – by tyrannical, despotic regimes.
That these police have to give one the permission even to protest is ludicrous in the extreme.
- If I am not getting water in my area, I cannot protest.
- If there is no electrical supply in my area, ditto.
- If You do not want a nuclear plant in Your area, You cannot protest.
- If Your highly arable land is being given to mega-business, You cannot protest. The list can go on and on. (All these things happen very often in India).
- The police, along with the politicians, judges and officials, receive their salaries from the tax money of the Citizens.
- If the Citizen says jump, they have to jump.
- If the Citizen wants to protest, the police has to give him/them protection, so that no hidden member of ruling parties disrupt, much less cause harm to the protester(s).
- That is their Only job.
It is Not the job of the police to decide whether or not the Citizen can/should protest.
If, When and As the Citizen is not given the Freedom to Protest, as is Most often the case, that means Freedom has disappeared from the Land.
The administration, in the form of politicians, judges and police and other officials alone are responsible for this. When this is the case, they should all be sacked ignominiously.