Today, a Protest is taking place. By the AAP, the Aam Aadmi Party, specifically asking that the Delhi police be under the Administration of the Delhi govt.
Interestingly, This is the written Manifesto of not only the AAP, but also that of the Congress and the BJP.
The AAP is also asking for the suspension, or at least the Transfer, of police officials guilty of Inaction in many stated circumstances.
Taking just the reactions of the media, we have, they have used words like:
- ‘Is this the way?
- Is the AAP going too far?
- Complete Anarchy,
- Arvind protecting his ministers!
- Arvind’s dangerous tactics,
- Reducing governance to drama,’ etc.
Protests are Nothing New, after all. As far as I remember, in the recent past, it all started from Egypt, with the People taking on the govt there. In India:
- The gujjars protested, resorting to Uprooting Rails!
- Express and Long Distance Trains are Regularly Stopped,
- Buses are Burnt and Road traffic is severely disrupted.
- Absolute Violence takes place during protests, with the Shedding of Blood a commonplace occurrence.
The media Did NOT cover the instances named above with the same enthusiasm.
Whereas, as I write this, and glance at my TV behind me, at 18.22 hours, I see both the Protesters and the Security Personnel standing Peacefully, except for a White Haired, White Mustached policemen, who seems to be used to Hitting and Shoving People around.
What more do the media want? For Whom is Arvind and the AAP fighting? Somnath Bharti directly asked a Woman Interviewer if she would dare to go to a police station with a complaint. She quietly sidestepped the question. Poor thing, she has to earn her salary.
It comes down to the media bosses. Granted that we have govts at the centre who have No problems with Cancelling Licences of TV stations that do not take the govt stand. But still, does the media have to be so enthusiastic about it?